Skip to content

Residence and work permit

Residence and Work permit applications should normally be made in your home country or in the country where you are currently residing. In Nepal, residence permit application for Denmark and Norway should be submitted through VFS Global Nepal.

(Only for Residence Permit for Denmark-Not Applicable for Norway)


According to regulation (EC) No. 380/2008 of 18 April 2008 residence cards issued after May 20th. 2012 shall contain an electronic chip with photo, fingerprints and signature recorded digitally. In this way the security against forgery and misuse of residence cards is strengthened considerably.

The decision to introduce fingerprints in residence cards, has been made at a central level in the EU as part of the combat against terrorism, human trade, human trafficking, illegal immigration and other transnational crime. 

Biometrics must be obtained when the application is lodged
In order to issue biometric residence cards, installation of special equipment for taking photos and recording fingerprints and signature is necessary. Please click here to find the nearest mission. 

Can I apply for a residence/work permit if one or more of my fingers are injured?
According to the law biometric data must always be contained in a biometric residence card. If the index finger is injured, a biometric residence card can be issued. In that case, a fingerprint will be taken of an alternative finger.

Must children also give their fingerprints?
No. Fingerprints are not collected from children under 6 years of age.

What to bring?
Bring the application and supporting documents (originals as well as copies). Copies of the originals must be in colour and size A4.
Babies: We recommend to bring a recent photo of the child, which meets the requirements for a photo . The photo can then be scanned by the mission, in case the mission does not have the means to take a valid photo.


Links for Further information on Residence Permit

You will find information about the rules for obtaining a temporary residence permit for Denmark and Norway. Please note that the information is a simplified and edited version of the rules. If you are in doubt about the rules, or if you want further information about the rules, you can contact the respective Immigration Service.

Link for the Immigration can be found below:

Danish Immigration Service

Norwegian Directorate of Immigration